UA-110174515-1
© Copyright 2017  The Upper Murray Business Directory  All rights reserved.

Cudgewa

Cudgewa…indigenous for ‘kangaroo skin’ The township of Cudgewa began evolving in the mid 1870s as a direct result of the Victorian Land Acts of the 1860s, when land ownership for ordinary families became reality. Many of the land selectors who arrived in the Cudgewa district from the 1860s were of British origin, particularly from Scotland and England. Most shared common beliefs and values; strong religious views and a strong sense of family and community. The Cudgewa Creek State School, the community's first public building, was opened to its first pupils in 1877. It began with one teacher and an initial enrollment of 48 pupils. (The school served the Cudgewa community for 97 years, closing in 1974.) In 1887, community spirit was harnessed to build the town's second public building, the Cudgewa Mechanics' Institute. It was a simple wooden structure, which was eventually replaced in 1919 by a larger cement brick building.
Over the years the Mechanics Institute, later referred to as the Cudgewa Hall, became the focal point of many community activities, from school concerts and dances to meetings and funeral wakes. With several major renovations, including the addition of an internal supper room and toilet facilities, the Cudgewa Hall continues to be an important community function centre. In 1888, the young men of Cudgewa formed an Australian Rules football club. For several years the games played were just social events but in 1893 it was decided that a district competition should begin. The first unofficial season of football was held between teams from Cudgewa, Corryong and Koetong. The Cudgewa Football Club won the Corryong Cup, the first premiership cup of the Upper Murray Football Association, donated by H. H. Parnaby, the editor of the Corryong Courier. Since this time the local football competition has undergone many changes but the proud Cudgewa community has fielded a football team in every annual competition since the beginning, with the exception of the war years when the competition was in recess.
In 1889, the Cudgewa Methodist Church, the first official church building and  the oldest church building still in existence in the Upper Murray, was opened. Over the decades, the church community held anniversary celebrations for the church  and were very active in promoting the faith to the community's youth. In 1977 the church congregation elected to merge with the local Presbyterian congregation to form a single congregation of the Uniting Church of Australia. The Methodist Church was chosen to remain open and the Norrie Memorial Presbyterian Church (built in 1899), located several kilometres north of the township, was sold to private interests. The third church built in Cudgewa was the Holy Trinity Anglican Church in 1924 and is currently  the only church in Cudgewa that remains open for services, though mostly at Easter and Christmas.
Next Page Next Page
“The Man From Snowy River’ Country of North-Eastern Victoria & Southern NSW