The Upper Murray
“The Man From Snowy River” country
of North-Eastern Victoria & Southern NSW
© Copyright 2017  The Upper Murray Business Directory  All rights reserved.

Jingellic

Jingellic…indigenous for ‘bald hill’ Jingellic was given its name from an early squatter's run, just like many Upper Murray towns and villages. The area was first held under a government lease in the late 1830s. As early as the 1870s Jingellic was the site of a small commercial punt,  providing dry passage over the Murray River between the colonies of  Victoria and New South Wales. The punt was operated in the 1870s by Alexander Dunn, who had moved to the Redbank area, near Walwa, with his wife Eliza, his three children, Archibald, Eleanor and Margaret and two adopted children, Agnes and Isabella Kersey. At one point the Dunn family, who had previously been hoteliers at the Freemason's Hotel at Deep Creek, near Beechworth, also operated a small hotel near Walwa. A Customs House, which housed a Customs Officer entrusted with the role of collecting duties on goods and livestock entering the colony of Victoria, prior to Federation, was once located near the site of the original bridge.
In the 1880s a government survey, which recorded the numbers of livestock and travelling public using the punts at Tintaldra and Jingellic, was undertaken in order to establish which location would be the most appropriate site for the construction of an iron bridge.  Though the Tintaldra crossing had more than three times the passing traffic to Jingellic, the government of the day decided that both locations had merit for the construction of a bridge. So, to enable both locations to have a bridge a cost compromise was made which resulted in the construction of two timber bridges. In 1892 the first bridge built over the Murray River in the Upper Murray was completed at Tintaldra. The original Jingellic Bridge, whose old pylons can still be seen from the free camping reserve, was completed soon after. The current Jingellic Bridge was built in 1959. In the shade of old river gums beside the Murray River sits the Bridge Hotel, a popular watering hole and meeting place. It was built in 1925. Next door is Jingellic Reserve which has a boat ramp, barbeques and a large area for free camping. It is a great launching or landing site for, fishing boats, kayaks and canoes.

The Jingellic Show

Every year, in either February or

March, the Jingellic and district

community host an annual show at the

picturesque leafy Jingellic Show

grounds. Show celebrations traditionally

begin on Saturday night with a

barbeque tea and music concert. At

7am Sunday morning the Walwa and

Jingellic Lions Club provide a

scrumptious breakfast of eggs and

sausages in bread for early show-

goers.

The next Jingellic Show will be held over two days in March 2017. The year 2017 marks the 90th anniversary of this important community event. Some of the past  attractions have included Show-jumping, Galloway, Hacks & Show Hunter, Stock horses, Welsh pony & cob, Ponies & Children's Riding, Stock-man's Challenge, Sheep, Carcass Competition, Monster Raffle, Pen of 3 lambs, Man Vs Sheep, Beef Cattle, Photography, Wool Exhibits, Pet Parade, Poultry, Dame Laughalot, Showgirl and Show-boy, Miss Teen, Camel Drawn Cart Rides, Grand Parade, Refreshment, Bar, Dodgem Cars, Vintage Cars & Trucks, Beaut Ute & Feral Ute Competition, Dog Jumps, Country Fair with many stalls, Poets and Writers' Corner, Best Bike, Pavilion Exhibits & lots more.