The Upper Murray
“The Man From Snowy River” country
of North-Eastern Victoria & Southern NSW
© Copyright 2017  The Upper Murray Business Directory  All rights reserved.

Koetong

Koetong…indigenous for cooee-tong, coo-ya-tong-'a place of echoes', or quedong-'frost' Koetong is  a small hamlet on the Murray Valley Highway, 45 kilometres west of Corryong. It is set amongst rolling hills. Native forest, cattle grazing pastures and pine plantations dominate the general landscape. The only shop front business is the Koetong Pub, which has been offering refreshments, meals and accommodation to locals and travellers from as early as the 1870s. Koetong was the site of tin discovery in the mid 1860s and, for many years, the number of tin miners around the immediate area fluctuated with tin prices. By the 1860s  a regular mail delivery route  between Wodonga and  the Upper Murray via Koetong was well established.  William and Rebecca Carkeek built the Cambourne Hotel near Koetong in the 1860s in order to service the mail delivery and the steady flow of people and livestock along the main road to the Upper Murray.
Travel by horse, either by saddle or carriage, determined the spacing of many villages in the early days of European  pioneer settlement. Horses could only travel between 12-16 miles a day, so it was common to find refreshment and accommodation businesses, like hotels, set up at these regular intervals. Between Tallangatta and Corryong during the 1890s there were five hotels along the main road to the Upper Murray (now called the Murray Valley Highway); the Travellers' Rest at Bullioh, the Cambourne, the Victoria and the Koetong Hotels at Koetong and the Wabba Hotel. There may also have been an accommodation/ refreshment house in operation at Berringama. The Koetong Hotel is historically very significant to the Upper Murray. Of all of the above named hotels, only the Koetong Hotel remains a commercial business.  Having seen its best days, the uninhabited old red brick Wabba Hotel  building exists 12 km from Cudgewa along the Murray Valley Highway. It has not operated as a hotel since 1925, when its last owner surrendered the hotel license at Wabba for a hotel license for the then newly built Cudgewa Hotel. The other three hotels have been long since been destroyed.

Points of interest

Edgar’s Road Trestle Bridge, a recently restored wooden trestle rail bridge, part of walking trail Boggy Creek Trestle Bridge, Murray Valley Highway, 4km, Wooden trestle rail bridge built in 1915, picnic table, short walk Koetong-Shelley section of the High Country Rail Trail Shelley Station site, 22 km walking and bike track, pine plantation Mt. Lawson State Park, 4km, 4wd & 2wd tracks, walking tracks, camping, native woodlands, Lawrence Lookout, 2 km off Murray Valley Highway, Shelley, views of Snowy Mountains and Mt Burrowa, directional cairn